Monday, March 20, 2006

Frogs

This past weekend, we were given an assignment by one of Kaia’s teachers at Kids Central, Fauzi Auntie. In the year-end performance, Kaia is in the frog group and last Friday the five children in this group were learning and practicing their frog leaps. While the other children seemed to get the gist of how to get on all fours and jump, Kaia was determined to sit on his knees and jump like that. The teachers laughed at “Kaia doing his own thing” and tried to get him to understand that this way would hurt his knees, but yet he stubbornly kept ‘jumping’ from his knees. But here is the funny thing--When I asked him to demonstrate to me his frog leap, I was impressed that it really looked more like a frog than in the all fours position! Regardless, there is the need for uniformity among the performing children, so Fauzi asked me to work with Kaia over the weekend to improve his jumping. So, from Friday afternoon on, we hopped around the house together. Make that, I hopped and Kaia laughed at me. Indiamama prepared a nice costume for him over the weekend as well, with flipper stockings. After some practice, by Monday morning, he had gotten used to the different style and we hopped around together a big papa bullfrog and his tiny jumper.

Why I Love this Time: How he knows where all of the working cement mixers are in our area.

No comments: