Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I Want to Stay Here

Today at breakfast, I was talking to Kaia about going ‘back’ to the US to our ‘home’. Of course, for him, having only lived there for the first 7 months of his life (versus, say, nearly a year and ½ here and over a year in Japan), while we talk about the US being home, it cannot feel that way for him. Anyway, as we have been slowly packing things up, donating old clothes and toys, he has been understandably disturbed. In this instance, I had said that he can take some of his special toys on the airplane and then the rest will get to go on a boat and meet us in Seattle. I thought that he would find this to be a fun thing, but it wasn’t received well. A sad look washed over his face and he started to sob. “I want to stay here papa. I want to stay here.” As the tears welled up in my own eyes and I realized just how much this IS his home and that in just a few days he’ll be ripped apart from it.

Why I Love this Time: Lately, he’s been asking where Joyce is during times when he knows full well that she’s a home, like in the evening. I think that he’s anticipating his separation from her…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Same here, we just moved back 'home' to the UK after spending some time in Netherlands and my young one is struggling a lot to adjust. Its heartbreaking am tempted at times to pack up and go back. Hopefully with time they will settle back