Monday, January 30, 2006

One Year Anniversary

Today marks the completion of one full year that we have been here in India. One year ago, we were spending our last (cold) night in Japan at our favorite cheap Narita hotel and getting ready to board a Singapore Airlines (business class!) flight that would eventually make its way to Chennai at 10:15pm on the 31st. The anxiety of that time is still very fresh for me—worrying about our weight restriction for baggage (wasn’t an issue), transitioning to being a full-time dad, leaving a very nice life in Japan, and of course, the unknown of being in India with a little guy. Looking back, it is hard to say how much I have changed and grown as a result of being here. The challenges have been many with indiamama’s work demands and the first three months were really difficult for all of us, I think. Kaia wasn’t in a school that either of us felt comfortable with, the search for a home just dragged on and on, the place where we were staying was packed with mosquitoes, and the weather just got more and more hot by the minute. There were all kinds of other difficulties with what we were expecting and what the reality was, but you can read about those in the logs of this weblog, if you’re so inclined. In all, I have never had a 12 month period where time and events seemed to go so rapidly and slowly at the same time. While I spun my wheels, trying anyway to get my writing started, Kaia was maturing by the second. I feel very honored to have witnessed it so closely for these past 12 months. Here are some photos comparing then and now.

Why I Love this Time: There were many times when I thought we wouldn’t last one more day, much less making it the whole year that we had committed to originally. Many challenges have certainly toughened our hides…

No comments: