Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Our So-Called Life

So we came home to news that our driver has left his wife and family (for a good reason), the man who sold us our car and found our flat is a bigamist, our maid is in crisis, and the voltage in our flat is in alternating states of deficit and danger…par for the course for life in this country. Still, it feels very good to be back. While our sleep patterns are still completely whacked (getting up at 11pm and going to bed at 430am) and crankiness rules the day, Kaia is very happy to be back here with all of his books and comforts. To be sure, this place is ruled by him and his things, so maybe it is just good for him to be back in his castle.

A friend in Seattle asked me what I would miss about living in India and I responded, “the people”, but it was tinged with a “I’m looking forward to moving back to the States” kind of confusion. For a few days after that I was thinking about really what I will miss once we move back, and I think it will be mostly the intensity. The intensity of the experience of being with Kaia, the intensity of mid-day in the city, the intensity of fumbling through previously simple tasks, the intensity of humanity. I love the fact that I am able to feel this with my son and, while it often pushes the boundaries of my patience and tolerance, it is this growth that makes it all the worthwhile.

Why I Love this Time: A chaat cart illuminated by kerosese lamp at dusk.

No comments: